Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Something I've been given

I'm blessed with generous family and friends. I feel like I've been given a lot, tangible and intangible. What could I possibly write about? Well, the first thing to pop into my mind are my wedding rings.
I love my wedding rings.
I love what they symbolize and I think they're oh-so-pretty. Please don't think I'm shallow for the latter. I'm just glad that, nearly seven years later, I still find them to be just as beautiful as when I first laid eyes on them. They are classic and the diamond, while not perfect, is sparkly and bright. I'm certain I will love them 70 years from now, too.
I remember ring window shopping when we had been dating for just a couple of years. At that point, I was certain that I wanted a princess cut solitaire engagement ring. I thought it was beautiful, classic and simple. The Man wanted me to try it on, just to make sure. I was apprehensive. It felt like I was jinxing the whole thing. Like trying on wedding dresses without an engagement in sight. But he insisted so I chose a gorgeous sparkler of a ring and put it on.
It was hideous on me.
It was such a long time ago that I can't remember exactly what made it awful but it just didn't look right on my hand. I didn't like it at all and Gil said something like, "See? And this whole time, since you were a little girl, you thought you wanted this kind of ring. Aren't you glad you tried it on?"
Years later (and I mean, YEARS) from that window shopping date, The Man finally proposed. Even though he had asked me what kind of setting I liked, I was still surprised by how beautiful the engagement ring was.
He will sometimes tease me and say, "You're wearing my truck right there." (He had talked about wanting to buy a truck but said he had to divert funds to another cause. Ah-hem.) I know he looked and looked, trying find the perfect-for-me ring. By the end of it, he knew way more about diamonds and settings than I ever did. As with all weddings rings, they mean a lot. It's a symbol of your vows to one another and how you commit to being together for eternity.
Pretty serious stuff.
There you have it. Something I've been given that mean a lot to me.
Oh yah! I wanted to mention this. Just the other day, The Bun looks lovingly at my rings and said, "I wish I could have wedding rings." And I told her, "One day you will, baby."
She then said, "But I have to wait so long."
So then I said, "Well, one day these could be yours. When I die, you can have them."
To which she replied, "Oh goody!" (I don't hold it against her. She's 5 and speaks the unfiltered truth.)  But then she got a sad look and said, "But I don't want you to die!" (Well, that's better.)

1 comment:

jen said...

I had to LOL at the "oh, goody!" comment. :) from the mouths of toddlers!